Therapy dogs help children with disability. Support a good deed!
The goal of the project is rehabilitation and improvement of the quality of lives for children with severe mental disorders with the help of canis therapy.
From 2004 together with the Sunny Dog Project led by an independent nonprofit organization Dogs As Assistants Training Center we organize canis therapy* activities for children and young people with severe and complex developmental disorders.
The effects of the activities observed in absolutely all children:
- development of cognitive activity,
- reduction of muscular spastics,
- improvement of movement coordination,
- reduction of phobias – some of the children used to be scared of dogs, but in the course of activities they got to love the animals,
- improvement of emotional state – opportunity to communicate with a kind and gentle dog makes children incredibly happy,
- improvement of sociability – they are easier to get in contact with, both with adults and with each other, which is very rare for children with developmental disorders.
Some of the children show especially vivid results – you can learn more about it in the project presentation (link to the presentation) and from reports about activities (link to the archive of news about canine therapy).
What we do
We pay for the experts work. The activities are held 2 times a month in average. Every time the activity lasts for 2.5 hours. Sometimes all children are involved together (groups of up to 12 people), and with some of the children individual work is performed. Overall, more than 65 children already took part in the activities.
The effects of canine therapy:
As a result of the therapy activities 50 children get regular rehabilitation, and in 90% of children we observe:
– development of cognitive activity
– reduction of muscular spastics, i.e. muscles relax,
– improvement of movement coordination,
– reduction of phobias – those children who used to be afraid of dogs started to show interest and be calm while interacting with animals, communication is established – improvement of child’s emotional state
– improvement of sociability – they are easier to get in contact with, both with adults and with each other, which is very rare for children with developmental disorders.
Help children to develop!
Support the project:
- 500 rubles – approximate cost of 1 class for 1 child.
- 2,800 rubles – approximate cost of 1 class with a group of children.
- 7,000 rubles – approximate cost of 2.5 hours’ class with a group of children in an rehabilitation center.
Helping is easy and joyful! Let’s do it together!
* Canis Therapy (dog-assisted therapy) is one of the main kinds of treatment and rehabilitation of a person with the help of specially trained dogs and under supervision of qualified canine therapists. This is a psychotherapeutic methodology which fosters the development of mental and emotional capabilities, improvement of movement functions and motility. This method also can be used to increase the effect of personality development during correction, rehabilitiation and social adaptation of children with special needs.